July 18, 2020
National Mall (Exact Location TBD)
“I loved the way they [the facilitators] remind us how we can bring the community to our school so budget or time doesn’t stop us.”
“This was a great presentation. Ignited my curiosity of allowing more child-led exploration.”
“The modeling a run through of a lesson you would use with students was useful. It was interesting to see how you would spark curiosity with a portrait then take the lesson in a new direction.”
Wonder & Community
- Explore how community-based learning can amplify a child’s sense of wonder
- Create a shared definition of inquiry and discuss its importance in academics and lifelong learning.
- Explore different types of questions and techniques that encourage inquiry and discovery.
- Explore what conversation looks like with young children looks like.
- Practice creating dialogue even with pre-verbal learners.
- Explore ways to use an emergent curriculum to encourage wonder and curiosity.
Culture of Inquiry
- Creating a culture of inquiry through practice and modeling.
- Using the classroom environment and documentation to support inquiry.